While some learners find a clear route to higher education with little complications, there are some learners who require more guidance and academic support.
The Skills and Education Group Awards Essential Skills suite of qualifications are primarily designed to enable learners with few or no formal or appropriate qualifications to gain the confidence, knowledge and skills they need to progress on to Level 3.
The qualifications this suite are:
• Level 2 Certificate in Essential Skills for Further Study in Science and Engineering
• Level 2 Certificate in Essential Skills for Further Study in Health Science Professions
• Level 2 Certificate in Essential Skills for Further Study in Humanities and Social Sciences
There may be gaps in learners’ skills or knowledge, perhaps because their schooling was interrupted or disrupted, or because they are returning to study after bringing up a family. Learners may need to build a foundation of knowledge and understanding in an unfamiliar academic area to prepare for higher level study after some time away from formal education.
These qualifications have been endorsed by Open College Network Yorkshire and Humber Region and have been recognised as an entry route onto Certa Access to HE Diplomas and as a first step academic progression route into higher education.
Typical progression routes after this qualification include:
• Access to HE Diploma, then University
• A-Level study
• Access to HE Diploma, then a Higher Apprenticeship
• Scottish Higher
To find out more information about how these qualifications can be your learners’ stepping stone to higher education, click here.